Bhindi masala recipe
Ingredients for bhindi masala:
* 250 grams bhindi (or ladies finger or okra)
* 3 or 4 tbsps oil
* ½ tsp cumin or jeera
* ¾ to 1 cup onions – 2 medium (finely chopped or processed)
* ¾ tbsp GINGER GARLIC PASTE or crushed
* ¾ to 1 cup tomatoes (deseeded & chopped)
* salt as needed
* 1 green chilli slit (optional)
* ¼ tsp turmeric or haldi
* ½ to 1 tsp red chili powder
* ¾ to 1 tsp GARAM MASALA
* ½ tsp kasuri methi (dried fenugreek leaves) (optional)
* Water as needed
* handful coriander leaves or cilantro (optional)
How to make the recipe
Preparation for bhindi masala recipe
1. Wash bhindi under running water well. Drain them and wipe off with a clean kitchen cloth or tissues.
2. Chop off both the ends and discard them. Chop them to 3/4 inch pieces.
3. Heat 1 ½ tbsp oil in a pan. Saute bhindi on a medium flame for about 5 to 7 mins stirring often until they are partially cooked. At the end of this step bhindi should not be sticky and must be partially cooked.
4. Transfer the bhindi to a plate and set aside.
How to make bhindi masala recipe:
1. Add 2 tbsps oil more to the pan. Then add cumin.
2. When they begin to splutter add onions and green chili. Saute them until they turn golden.
3. Add the ginger garlic paste and saute for 2 to 3 mins till the raw smell of the garlic goes away.
4. Then add tomatoes and salt. Saute until the tomatoes turn soft and mushy.
5. Add red chili powder, turmeric and garam masala.
6. Mix everything well and saute until the mixture leaves the sides of the pan.
7. Pour 4 to 5 tbsp water. Mix well & cook the masala for 1 to 2 mins. Check the salt and adjust as needed. Do not add too much water.
8. Add kasuri methi and fried bhindi. Mix everything well.
9. Cover and cook on a low to medium heat until bhindi turns slightly tender and the aroma comes out. I usually under cook bhindi to keep the crunch yet not sticky.
10. Open the lid and evaporate any excess moisture.
11. Serve bhindi masala with roti or rice.
#khanskitchenette #happycooking #indiancusine