Things Every Student Should Know4 min read
Everyone faces homework sooner or later. Is it needed? And if needed, what should it be like so that it is easy for the teacher and interesting for the students? How to do homework fast? Let’s talk about this.
The debate over what homework should be is an international phenomenon. In different countries, periodically calls are made to abandon it altogether or to greatly reduce it. In response, scientists are conducting large-scale studies on the effectiveness of homework. They show that, on average, having homework and doing more homework do improve learning outcomes. But we are talking about the average effect. For example, usually, homework in elementary school is almost useless, but in high school, on the contrary, it helps students a lot. However, homework in mathematics shows its effectiveness even in elementary school.
That is, completely abandoning homework is definitely a bad decision. Students, teachers, and parents generally agree with this. The question is how to do it if you don’t have enough time. In this case, just ask your browser “do my paper for me” an expert will deal with your homework fast so that you can submit it on time.
Quality over quantity
Determining the optimal duration of homework is difficult and probably not necessary. The same task can take 10 minutes for one student and an hour for another. One and the same hour, you can solve monotonous simple examples according to the model or work with a group on your project to apply knowledge in real life.
The 10-minute rule is popular: we multiply the grade number by 10 minutes and get the time that the student must spend on homework (that is, 20 minutes for a second grader, 90 for a ninth grader). Also, there is an assumption that in 2-3 grades, no more than 1.5 hours of work should be, in 4-5 grades – 2 hours, in grades 6-8 – 2.5 hours, and in grades 9-12 – 3.5 hours. Excessive homework can lead to stress and overload and, among other things, widen the gap between “strong” and “weak” students.
It is more important that homework is regular and is in the student’s zone of proximal development. That is, it is not the time spent on work that is important, but how exactly it was used.
Everything should be useful
Students say that they are interested in practical tasks – growing plants or writing a business plan, for example. Such non-reproductive or practice-oriented tasks are called, on average, more effective by some researchers.
The best task is something interesting for students. Often they carry a challenge and require the application of knowledge and skills in new conditions. But any teacher will say that it is impossible to give only creative tasks. To work out and consolidate the material, simple, typical tasks of a reproductive nature are also needed.
Tips for doing homework faster
- To get started, form an approximate daily routine and determine the specific time when you will start doing your homework. At this time, you should be rested. Before that, do something pleasant: take a walk, play, just lie on the couch. The brain needs to rest, and gadgets in this regard will only bring harm. But after completing homework, you can use your phone.
- Make a homework plan. Tasks need to be visualized. You can do this on a piece of paper as a list or write each assignment on a separate colored sticker, and then cross out or remove what you have done from the wall. Or write with a marker on a board or tablet your assignments and erase what you have done.
- If you join work quickly and get tired just as quickly, then you should start with difficult subjects for you. In other cases, you can safely start with easy assignments or those that you like – this will set you up for a positive mood and give you confidence.
- Prepare your workplace in advance – remove everything superfluous from the table, leaving only what relates to the subject being performed. Put everything you might need next to you: pens, pencils, a ruler, and draft paper. Do this so that you do not have a chance to go look for something in a bag or elsewhere.
- Some students are distracted from the task by the abundance of text or pictures on the page of the textbook. In this case, you can close the “unnecessary” with stickers or pieces of paper or make special cardboard boxes with cut-out windows of various sizes (yes, you have to make a whole set for different textbooks). As a result, you see only one task on the spread that needs to be done and is not distracted by everything else in the book.
- Put an hourglass or an alarm clock on your table for 15-25 minutes (each has its own). This is the time when you need to focus on completing one task or subject as much as possible. The alarm rings; take breaks for 10 minutes.
In fact, even ordinary homework can become interesting if the student understands why they are doing it. The student must see how it works for their learning. Students should understand why they should do this activity. For example, when you need to read a paragraph about the culture of Ancient India, highlight new information in it that has not yet been discussed in class. This will help in the next lesson to find elements of this culture in the classroom. Do a project related to the topic being studied. In any case, with our tips, you can deal with homework faster using information.